- Calories: 181
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 79mg
- Sodium: 356mg
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 23g
Seafood Stew Recipe Video
Here’s a one-pot dinner that is sure to impress your guests. When buying mussels and clams, discard any shells that are completely open. If you tap the shellfish lightly and it closes up, it is okay to use. If you want a meatless stew, omit the chorizo and substitute with a little paprika.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced red or yellow bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/8 tsp crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup sliced chorizo
- 3 lb mussels, scrubbed and cleaned
- 1/2 lb cockle or littleneck clams
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 lb cod or haddock, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup canned white beans, half of the liquid reserved
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add bell pepper, garlic, shallot, red-pepper flakes and chorizo.
- Cook until the shallot is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add mussels, clams, chicken stock and wine and cook, covered, for 5 minutes, or until shells open.
- Remove mussels and clams, keeping liquid and chorizo in pan.
- Add shrimp, cod, white beans with reserved liquid and thyme.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for about 5 minutes, or until shrimp are bright orange and cod is white and flaky.
- Remove lid. Return mussels and clams to saucepan. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Cook for 2 minutes more. Serve immediately.
This recipe video features Chef John Brandt-Lee, owner of Avalon Restaurant in West Chester, PA and Avalon Pasta Bistro in Downingtown, PA
Nut Allergy: If you have an allergy to nuts or nut products, read the packaging, labels, warnings and directions for all ingredients in this recipe to determine whether the non-nut ingredients in this recipe were manufactured in a plant that processes nut products. We recommend that you do not solely rely on our information. For additional information about a product, please contact the manufacturer.
Copyright 2015 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc.. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Review Date: February 26, 2013
Reviewed By: Christina D. Wright, RD, LDN, Nutrition Editor, Baldwin Publishing, Inc.
Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
This page created February 1, 2010 and last modified September 23, 2010