- Calories: 297
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- Sodium: 153mg
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 30g
Beef Stew Recipe
Here's an easy beef stew recipe that the whole family will love. This slow-cooking beef stew is a hearty dinner for a chilly night.
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 lbs stew beef, lean, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cans (14 oz each) low sodium beef broth
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1/3 cup pearl barley
- 2 cups sliced carrot
- 2 cups diced turnip
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- In a bowl, combine flour, pepper and paprika. Toss beef in flour mixture until coated evenly.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef and sauté until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, celery and onion and sauté 2 minutes. Add broth, bay leaf, barley, carrot, turnips and potatoes, and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover and simmer, uncovered, until vegetables and beef are very tender, about 40 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Skim off fat. (Stew can be prepared up to 2 days ahead. Cool slightly. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and refrigerate. Bring to a simmer before serving.)
Nut Allergy: If you have an allergy to nuts or nut products, read the packaging, labels, warnings and directions for all ingredients in this recipe to determine whether the non-nut ingredients in this recipe were manufactured in a plant that processes nut products. We recommend that you do not solely rely on our information. For additional information about a product, please contact the manufacturer.
Copyright 2015 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc.. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Review Date: February 26, 2013
Reviewed By: Christina D. Wright, RD, LDN, Nutrition Editor, Baldwin Publishing, Inc.
Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
This page created February 1, 2010 and last modified September 23, 2010