- Calories: 297
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- Sodium: 153mg
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 30g
Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe
Need a slow cooker recipe for a weeknight dinner? In the morning, just mix these ingredients in a slow cooker and you'll come home to a tender beef stew that's rich in flavor but low in fat and calories.
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 lbs stew beef, lean, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cans (14 oz each) low sodium beef broth
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1/3 cup pearl barley
- 2 cups sliced carrot
- 2 cups diced turnip
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- In a bowl or resealable plastic bag, combine flour, pepper and paprika. Toss beef in flour mixture until coated evenly.
- In a slow-cooker, combine oil and floured beef cubes and cook for 30 minutes set on high to brown the beef.
- Add remaining ingredients, reduce to low setting and cook for 8 hours. For thicker gravy, cook and additional 2 hours on low setting.
Nut Allergy: If you have an allergy to nuts or nut products, read the packaging, labels, warnings and directions for all ingredients in this recipe to determine whether the non-nut ingredients in this recipe were manufactured in a plant that processes nut products. We recommend that you do not solely rely on our information. For additional information about a product, please contact the manufacturer.
Copyright 2015 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc.. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Review Date: February 26, 2013
Reviewed By: Christina D. Wright, RD, LDN, Nutrition Editor, Baldwin Publishing, Inc.
Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
This page created February 1, 2010 and last modified September 23, 2010