- Calories: 281
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Sodium: 540mg
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 19g
Mac and Cheese Recipe Video
There's no need to make mac and cheese from a boxed mix. When you need comfort food, try this creamy homemade mac and cheese for fewer calories and much better taste.
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 3/4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 3 Tbsp trans fat free margarine, melted
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 cups cooked multigrain elbow macaroni (about 2 cups uncooked)
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly coat a 2-quart casserole dish or 6 (7-oz) ramekins with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a saucepan, combine milk, sour cream, margarine, mustard, mozzarella, cheddar cheese, salt and pepper and cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until cheese is melted and a sauce forms.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked macaroni and cheese sauce. Stir gently to combine.
- Pour macaroni into prepared casserole or ramekins.
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and paprika. Sprinkle mixture over macaroni mixture. Cover and bake for 30 minutes in casserole or 5 minutes in ramekins.
- Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer, or until bread crumbs are golden.
Nut Allergy: If you have an allergy to nuts or nut products, read the packaging, labels, warnings and directions for all ingredients in this recipe to determine whether the non-nut ingredients in this recipe were manufactured in a plant that processes nut products. We recommend that you do not solely rely on our information. For additional information about a product, please contact the manufacturer.
Copyright 2015 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc.. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Review Date: February 26, 2013
Reviewed By: Christina D. Wright, RD, LDN, Nutrition Editor, Baldwin Publishing, Inc.
Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
This page created February 1, 2010 and last modified September 23, 2010