- Calories: 55
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Sodium: 20mg
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 1g
Spice Cookies Recipe
The flavors of fall come together in these tasty spice cookies. This low calorie cookie is a healthy Halloween treat that's delicious any time of year.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 3/4 cup trans fat free margarine
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 350°. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, black pepper and cloves.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the margarine and brown sugar on medium-high speed until fluffy, for about 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low and beat in the egg, applesauce and vanilla. Add the flour mixture, mixing just until combined.
- Place the granulated sugar on a plate. Roll the dough into balls by heaping teaspoonfuls. Roll the balls in the sugar to coat. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. Using a glass, press the balls to a 3/8-inch thickness and sprinkle with more granulated sugar.
- Bake, rotating the sheets halfway through baking, until the edges are firm, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool slightly on the baking sheets. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Nut Allergy: If you have an allergy to nuts or nut products, read the packaging, labels, warnings and directions for all ingredients in this recipe to determine whether the non-nut ingredients in this recipe were manufactured in a plant that processes nut products. We recommend that you do not solely rely on our information. For additional information about a product, please contact the manufacturer.
Copyright 2015 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc.. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Review Date: February 26, 2013
Reviewed By: Christina D. Wright, RD, LDN, Nutrition Editor, Baldwin Publishing, Inc.
Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
This page created February 1, 2010 and last modified September 23, 2010